Histotechnologist / Histology Technician - Histology
Company: Cleveland Clinic
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Performs routine and developmental immunohistochemistry and
molecular laboratory techniques. Analyzes and evaluates assays for
sensitivity and specificity. Embeds and prepares sections for
various procedures. Responsibilities:
- Transports tissue specimens to the Laboratory.
- Performs immunohistochemical and in-situ hybridization
procedures including handling and storage of probes and
- Analyzes and evaluates assays for sensitivity and
- Embeds and prepares sections by cutting frozen or paraffin
embedded tissue for immunohistochemistry, in-situ hybridization or
other special procedures.
- Mounts, labels and distributes prepared microscope slides to
pathologists or to appropriate areas for interpretation.
- Prepares reagents buffers, solutions and stains.
- Replaces reagents and performs daily maintenance on automated
- Files surgical and autopsy blocks used for immunohistochemical
- Other duties as assigned.Education:
- Bachelor's Degree in biology, microbiology, chemistry or
related field; or meets the CLIA qualifications for
- Working knowledge of OSHA requirements concerning chemical
hygiene and bloodborne pathogens.Certifications:
- Histotechnician (HT) or Histotechnologist (HTL) certification
or certification eligible by American Society for Clinical
Pathology (ASCP).Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the
ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a highly technical, stressful
environment and take appropriate action.Work Experience:
- Prior hands on laboratory experience from an accredited
Histotechnology school or one year of prior histology laboratory
experience preferred.Physical Requirements:
- Requires manual dexterity and visual acuity when handling
specimens, slides and utilizing instrumentation.
- Ability to safely handle potentially infectious patient
specimens, carcinogenic substances, odorous and other hazardous
materials to which they may be exposed.
- Typical physical demands include ability to sit, stand or walk
extensively.Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective
equipment as required.
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland , Histotechnologist / Histology Technician - Histology, Professions , Cleveland, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!