Outreach Phlebotomy Technician, Traveling
Company: Cleveland Clinic
Posted on: May 16, 2022
- Performs blood collection for Extended Care Clients and
provides service to their residents who are mostly geriatric.
- Performs specimen processing and send-out tasks including
accessioning, and packaging for transport when necessary for all
- Follows proper protocol when collecting samples, examples
include but are not limited to, introducing self, verifying patient
identity, collection specimens for all tests listed on the
requisition, clarifying tests when information is not specific,
labeling specimens accurately for identification purposes,
transporting and centrifuging.
- Prioritizes STAT, scheduled and routine orders.
- Ensures that each problem requisition is documented in
accordance with the lab's documentation guidelines.
- Ensures all current demographic and insurance information are
obtained and verified for the purpose of accurate and timely
billing of third-party payers and/or outreach laboratory
- Checks appropriate paperwork for each test, patient and/or
client in a thorough and accurate manner COS-Check on Site.
- Completes and submits appropriate administrative paperwork
neatly and timely, such as time and mileage reports.
- Maintains inventory of his/her supplies to ensure adequate
amount of materials are on hand; requests supplies, as
- Maintains clean and orderly work area and vehicle.
- Follows proper laboratory safety procedures.
- Maintains efficient flow of verbal and written orders
including, but not limited to timely arrival and on-call page.
- Contributes to CCL's success targets for patient and client
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or
reporting of test results and immediately notify the Team Lead and
- Must be flexible to work a varied schedule as required - early
morning shifts (i.e. start time between 4am and 4:30am) & afternoon
shifts (start time between 12:30pm and 1p)
- Required to travel to patient locations, these include but are
not limited to client's facilities, house calls and stats. On-Call
hours are minimum number of weekday calls and every other weekend.
- Will carry ON-CALL pager a minimum number of weekday calls and
every other weekend. (4am- midnight are call hours)
- Must answer pager within 15-30 minutes and arrive to the home
within an hour unless there is an issue.
- When on call, must collect stat draws and have the specimen
back to the lab within 2 hours from time receipt of call.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Education:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduation certificate from a formal accredited Phlebotomy
program preferred. Certifications:
- Proof of Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification through the
American Heart Association must be presented upon hire or within
the first 3 months of employment.
- ASCP Phlebotomy Certification preferred.
- A current, valid Driver License is required as well as personal
auto liability insurance coverage with the limits of $100,000 per
person/$300,000 per accident on bodily injury, and $100,000 in
property liability damage required. Competencies (Complexity of
- Clean criminal history as required for positions with direct
patient care in extended care facilities.
- Strong communication skills - written, verbal and
- Adhere to HIPAA guidelines.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and the ability to work
under minimal supervision and work independently, exercise
creativity, be attentive to detail, and problem solving skills with
the ability to determine appropriate course of action in more
- Ability to work and deliver services in a high-volume,
- Actively promotes effective communication flow both internal
and external of the department and communicate information to the
- Handles difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or
others in a professional manner.
- Demonstrates adaptability: includes teamwork and flexibility
needed to fulfill job responsibilities including adapting to
changes in work environment and accepting constructive
- Able to operate various computer systems and assist nursing
staff with computer operating instructions.
- Presents a compassionate professional demeanor, deliver
positive customer service and dress according to CCL standards.
- One current years of phlebotomy experience required.
- Two current years of phlebotomy experience preferred.
- Experienced and proficient in blood collection from all
patients. (EX: Senior Nursing Facilities, Rehabilitation Centers,
Assisted Living Facilities, or private homes)
- Experienced with the handling/transport of Laboratory
specimens, laboratory safety, medical terminology and laboratory
- Working knowledge of clinical laboratory and tests performed.
- Requires frequent standing and walking.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to manipulate blood drawing
equipment and make measurements.
- Visual acuity including the ability to distinguish colors.
- This position is primarily traveling in nature.
- The average amount of lifting is 10 pounds with occasional
carrying of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Work requires finger dexterity and eye hand coordination.
- Working irregular hours including On-call hours.
- Exposure to blood and body fluids, communicable diseases,
chemicals, radiation, and repetitive motions.
- Pushing and pulling heavy objects.
- Position requires reaching, bending, stooping, and handling
objects with hands and/or fingers, talking and/or hearing, and
seeing. Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follow standard precautions using personal protective
equipment. Performs blood collection for Extended Care Clients.
Conducts specimen transport, specimen tracking, specimen processing
and preparing specimens for shipping ensuring that all specimens
are preserved properly before they are sent for testing.
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland , Outreach Phlebotomy Technician, Traveling, Professions , Cleveland, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!