Company: The Sherwin-Williams Company
Posted on: November 19, 2023
The Coil Coatings Innovation Scientist contributes to the
assessment, development, reformulation, quality, maintenance, and
enhancement of products through planning, executing, and analysis
of experiments with clear and accurate results. This includes
adherence to sound performance, quality and economic
goals/requirements. Advanced technologies will be utilized to
develop differentiated products that exceed customer expectations.
The individual is accountable for the solution of complex technical
problems (product/process) using knowledge of raw materials,
formulations, substrates, instruments, coatings application
equipment and customer processes. This role is responsible for
timely and accurate completion of multiple projects of moderate to
high level complexity while also serving as a mentor to less
experienced formulators. This position requires expert level
knowledge and experience in related coatings
* Adherence to safety policies and laboratory procedures..
* Leadership of the assessment, development, reformulation,
quality, maintenance, and enhancement of products through planning,
executing and analysis of experiments with clear and accurate
* Demonstrate innovation and initiative in developing new project
proposals and executing R&D programs of key strategic
* Develop new products and methods, improve existing products, and
anticipate/prevent/solve complex technical problems.
* Identify, recommend and lead strategic projects and assess
* Collaborate with materials science, analytical, and other
division R&D teams to solve customer problems and overcome
technology challenges in product development.
* Develop solutions for complex technical problems
(product/process) and demonstrate expert knowledge in the use of
raw materials, substrates, application equipment and
* Preserve technical knowledge by issuing periodic reports on
development projects and reformulations. Substantiate formula
changes with documentation.
* Interface with sales, marketing and manufacturing teams to
deliver new product introductions efficiently and systematically to
* Develop new/innovative coating products that will allow
Sherwin-Williams to provide differentiated solutions to our
* Understand Coil Division customer market segments and coatings
* Provide mentoring to lower level technical professionals and may
lead 1-3 direct reports.
* Lead multiple technically complex projects simultaneously.
* Understand the use of the Stage Gate Process in product
* Maintenance of laboratory equipment, including calibration with
* Independently lead projects/groups without direct supervision
* Must be legally authorized to work in the country for which you
are applying for employment (without now or in the future needing
sponsorship for employment work visa and/or permanent residence
* Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math
* 10 years of Coatings formulation experience
* Experience with solvent borne and/or radiation curable coatings
* Excellent organizational and communication skills
* Experience in taking product from lab development to
manufacturing to customer line.
* Experience working across global labs
* Experience working directly with customers
* Proven mentoring skills
* Familiarity with finishing equipment/processes of the coatings
* Must be able, with or without reasonable accommodation, to
determine the difference between colors so you can correctly tint
paint to the colors desired by customers.
* Masters Degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Coatings Technology
or related field
* Proven team building skills
* Radiation curable coatings and/or coil coatings expertise
* Experience directly leading others
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS 20% Travel
Keywords: The Sherwin-Williams Company, Cleveland , R&D- Scientist, Other , Cleveland, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!