Software Eng (BAL Mainframe Programmer) - Contract - Remote
Company: Vaco Technology
Posted on: June 25, 2022
- In the midst of a very large project that will last a few
- Linux shop
- About 99 hundred modules and they are growing due to this
- Project Details:
- In support of one of their revenue generating projects
- September 1986, STN was released, runs on the Mainframe.
Recently introduced a non-mainframe interface to that project.
(STN-next) Has a web interface that goes in and uses the messenger
application. Migrating additional messenger contact to clients data
center. Expanding the files here in Columbus. To do that they have
to edit certain screens and modules to make them adapt into their
Mainframe code. FDT, file design table. All the data elements and
search terns are contained within this BAL module. When they set
things up it can take a few months. Only has a couple people on his
team to do this and they have over 50 files that need to be
migrated. Both individuals they have are very senior. Recently had
an individual retire with this skillset. This was unplanned.
- There are only two companies in the world that run Messenger.
They aren't going to find that. If they have in depth programming
skills with BAL they can take those skills and add Messenger to
- Homegrown application that they wrote, candidate will have to
learn this portion of the code from the client. They will
compartmentalize it and teach them subsets and pieces that they
need and then pass them off to other people who don't require BAL
- Have another sustainability project that's going on, BAL will
be around for at least the next 10 or 20 years because of the
recent long-term contracts they have signed.
- C, C++ also run on the mainframe, but majority of what they
will be doing is on the BALIdeal Candidate
- On a 2-year project, don't have the six months to spend to
teach someone BAL. Would like them to come in already knowing
- Need to have the Linux experience with BAL. Windows BAL will
use different tools.Length of contract: 2 years, but contract will
be written 1 year at a timeJob Responsibilities:
- Support and enhance an existing BAL based online
- Software Development: work within an Agile Delivery team
creating software applications, services and systems, delivering or
enhancing the clients products and solutions.
- Collaborate with teammates and product owners grooming backlogs
of epics and stories for upcoming development sprints.
- Push the limits of advanced software engineering and automation
by helping to drive automated software testing, advanced change
control, DevOps, and continuous delivery.
- Connect across the organization to build influential working
relationships, preparing your career for tomorrow.
- Stay abreast of the latest technology trends through individual
and team training opportunities.Job Qualifications:
- 4-year degree in computer science or engineering, or equivalent
- 5 plus years of Application Delivery and Software
- Mainframe Skills and BAL language experience
- Leadership: experience leading or helping to lead application
- Pair Programming - Need to have experience with pairing or be
willing to pair with others when it makes sense.
- Clear Communication - Must be comfortable and eager discussing
work items in team settings.
- Passion for Development - Actively learns on the job and
outside of work. We are a team of developers that constantly seek
to improve our craft and we expect to work with the same.
- Cross Functional Skill Development - willing to learn new
skills and roles to meet the needs of their team.
Keywords: Vaco Technology, Cleveland , Software Eng (BAL Mainframe Programmer) - Contract - Remote, Other , Cleveland, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!