Cyber Security Engineer
Posted on: June 12, 2021
At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong,
Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWXT provides
safe and effective nuclear solutions for national security, clean
energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space
exploration. With approximately 6,400 employees, BWXT has 12 major
operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. We are the sole
manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and
aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured
components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power
industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide
environmental remediation and nuclear operations management at more
than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT's
technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production
in North America and microreactors for various defense and space
applications. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXTech and learn more at
BWXT is currently seeking a Cyber Security Engineer based at its
Lynchburg, VA or Barberton, OH location.
The Cyber Security Engineer will be responsible for proactively
monitoring event sources for anomalies and developing creative ways
to leverage technology, driving the "leg work" to accomplish high
priority security objectives, conducting vulnerability assessments,
validating the current understanding of the information systems,
incident response activities, and being an all-star problem solver.
The candidate will report directly to the Manager, Cyber Security
- Provides technical assistance with the initial set-up, secure
deployment, and proper management of systems that support
information security including virus detection, application
whitelisting, centralized logging, secure email gateways, data loss
prevention, web content filtering, intrusion detection systems, and
intrusion prevention systems.
- Offers technical information security consulting services to
support business initiatives that require risk assessments of
technology solutions, including Software as a Service (SaaS),
web-based applications, custom internally developed applications,
and COTS solutions.
- Evaluates information system bug reports, threat intelligence,
security exploit reports, and other information security notices
issued by information system vendors, government agencies,
universities, professional associations, and other organizations,
and as needed, makes recommendations to internal management and
technical staff to take precautionary steps.
- Performs risk assessments and tests of new technology platforms
and leads the development of Standard Security Configuration Guides
for these systems prior to production deployment.
- Utilizes vulnerability assessment software and related tools to
immediately highlight errors in systems configuration, the need for
the update of software with fixes and patches, and other security
- Acts as a technical consultant on information security incident
investigations and performs digital forensic analysis of evidence
files and malware samples.
- Mentors junior team members in information security
fundamentals, skills, and practices to assist in their career
- Performs administration of the centralized logging platform,
maintains system integrity, installs applications, develops custom
dashboards to monitor security status of the environment, and
produces periodic reports of key performance indicators and key
risk indicators to support Cyber Security metrics at the executive
and operational levels.
- Redesigns and reengineers internal information handling
processes so that information is appropriately protected from a
wide variety of problems including unauthorized disclosure,
unauthorized use, inappropriate modification, premature deletion,
- Serves as an active member of the Cyber Security Incident
Response Team (CSIRT) and participates in security incident
response efforts by directing first responders to triage an event
and performing advanced response actions for escalated events.
- Develops technical documentation describing the deployment,
configuration, and management of shared, networked, and multi-user
information security systems.
- Supports awareness training of the workforce on information
security standards, policies, and best practices.
- Regularly attends conferences, professional association
meetings, and technical symposia to remain aware of the latest
information security technological developments.
- A Bachelor's degree in a related field is preferred. Applicable
work experience may be substituted.
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of experience in IT, performing
risk assessments, developing security plans, and developing
Standard Security Configuration Guides or similar technical
- Candidate must have advanced technical skills and experience
with the following: Splunk administration, network intrusion
detection system (IDS) administration, Active Directory and Group
Policy Objects, Anti-virus administration consoles, Data Loss
Prevention (DLP) systems, Microsoft Windows operating systems,
Linux operating systems and advanced cyber security toolkits,
malware analysis, penetration testing, and digital forensics
- Must have an understanding of open-source and other tools to
assist in detection, prevention and analysis of security
- Must have a working knowledge of system functions, cyber
security policies, and cyber security protection requirements.
- Must have excellent communications skills, especially technical
report writing; candidates are encouraged to submit a sample of a
technical report authored by the candidate.
- One or more of the following certifications: GSEC, CEH, CISSP,
CISA, GCIH, OSCP or other related certification.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality when working with
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance is
- Must be an U.S. citizen with no dual citizenship.
U.S. Citizenship, with no dual citizenship is required for this
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background
investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to
classified information or matter. Position requires U.S.
citizenship with (no dual citizenship) ability to obtain and
maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which
involves an extensive criminal and financial background
investigation, drug test and previous employment reference
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal
Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure
that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation,
career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social
recreational programs are administered without regard to race,
color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age,
disability or veteran status.
Keywords: BWXT, Cleveland , Cyber Security Engineer, Other , Barberton, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!