Lead Phlebotomist - Independence Family Health Center - Full Time
Company: Cleveland Clinic
Posted on: May 16, 2022
- Handles internal and external customer service issues/concerns
and initiates any necessary follow-up.
- Communicates to the staff all procedural changes and/or
problems which are pertinent to the delivery of healthcare at the
direction of the Section Leader.
- In absence of Section Leader, serves as the point person for
problem resolution in a timely manner.
- Collects blood samples from all patients using venipuncture,
finger stick, and heel stick techniques. Interprets physician's
orders for sample collection.
- Instructs patients in the proper technique for collecting
- Processes specimens and enters results for tests referred to
- Delivers all samples collected to the Laboratory Accession Area
- Ensures the patient's safety; attends to any patient who faints
or becomes ill.
- Coordinates orientation and training schedules, assists Section
Leader to ensure that the section is in compliance with accrediting
and regulatory agency standards and safety guidelines.
- Assists in the training of phlebotomy students, and the
orientation of new employees.
- Maintains a high level of accuracy in all activities.
- Participates in and/or conducts in-services and continuing
- Attends workshops, seminars and lectures to keep current on new
procedures and equipment.
- Maintains inventory system for Laboratory stock area.
- Knowledgeable of, and able to complete all duties assigned in
LIS (Sunquest) and HIS (SMS), including patient registration, test
ordering, report printing, and result review.
- Assists front desk with sorting, typing, logging in, mailing
out and separating specimens and requisitions.
- Maintains inventory control for the Outpatient Drawing
- Other duties as assigned. Education:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Associate's Degree preferred. Certifications:
- General Laboratory: Certified in Phlebotomy, preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the
ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take
appropriate action. Work Experience:
- Minimum of five years recent experience in a clinical
laboratory and hospital experience preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Previous training experience required.
- Proficient with Infant and Pediatric Phlebotomy. Physical
- Light lifting and carrying, under 15 lbs.
- Use of fingers and both hands required.
- Walking, standing and bending.
- Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination
- Near vision at 13 to 16 inches to Jaeger 1 to 4.
- Far vision correctable to 20/20 in one eye, and 20/40 in the
- Not colorblind preferred.
- Must have depth perception.
- Must be able to distinguish colors and shades of color.
- Hearing aid permitted.
- Must work in close proximity with others. Personal Protective
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective
equipment as required. Keywords: Phlebotomy, Phlebotomist,
venipuncture, blood specimen, blood sampleAssists the Section
Leader with daily oversight of the department to ensure that
inpatient phlebotomy, the Outpatient Lab (ROP) and the Specimen
Processing area maintain a continuous workflow. Completes
phlebotomy associated duties; draws blood, transports specimen and
related tasks. Interacts as a team member and maintains a positive
customer service orientation.
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland , Lead Phlebotomist - Independence Family Health Center - Full Time, Healthcare , Independence, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!