RN Assistant Nurse Manager - Observation Unit
Company: Cleveland Clinic
Location: North Royalton
Posted on: November 23, 2021
Manages the patient care unit for administrative and clinical
aspects to include organizing, developing, directing and assuring
the delivery of cost-effective, quality patient care. Ensures
patient care is delivered in accordance with established hospital,
State, Federal, and JCAHO, ANA policies, procedures, regulations,
ethics and standards. Provides education to staff based on
theoretical and clinical expertise. Ensures twenty-four hour
accountability to provide clinical resources and the continuity of
patient care.Designated an ANCC Magnet- hospital, South Pointe
follows the gold standard in professional nursing practice. Every
day, our nurses contribute to process improvements, evidence-based
practice enhancements and nursing innovation throughout our 173-bed
community teaching hospital.Join the South Pointe team and work in
a positive environment that benefits caregivers, patients and the
communities we serve!Responsibilities:
- Manages the patient care unit for administrative and clinical
aspects to include organizing, developing, directing and assuring
the delivery of cost-effective, quality patient care.
- Ensures patient/family involvement in the development of care
- Ensures all nurses to be involved in the multidisciplinary team
rounding for each patient's plan of care.
- Monitors all care givers in the proficient prioritization and
performance of direct care to patients according unit standards of
- Ensures that all caregivers are effective in the education of
procedures/ interventions and completion of required
- Identifies and performs appropriately in emergent
- Ensures that nurses incorporate critical thinking in their
assessment skills in order to increase the effectiveness of each
plan of care.
- Assists the clinical charge nurses in the delegation of
responsibilities to staff based on patient needs, acuity, and staff
- Ensures the appropriateness of restraint usage and completion
of proper documentation.
- Identifies staff needing further experience in the insertion of
all IV skills including starts.
- Utilizes and demonstrates ability to alter communication
patterns related to patient's age and developmental level.
- Ensures that all nurses are accurately documenting medications
on MAR as required.
- Ensures that nurses are monitoring Patient's response to
medication and completion of proper documentation of results.
- Reports medication errors and adverse reactions per hospital
policy. Identifies staff needing further knowledge concerning
- Monitors nurses for the safe administration of blood and blood
products per hospital policy.
- Ensures that all nurses verifies patient ID per hospital
- Ensures that all nurses perform all Pyxis monitoring and counts
- Ensures all nurses complete the patient/family educational
readiness and barriers.
- Ensures nurses are developing plan of care based on educational
assessment. Ensures that nurses are documenting educational
assessment, plan, intervention, and outcome.
- Makes decisions using critical thinking based on data.
- Acts as a resource to Clinical Charge Nurses for the
coordination of patient transfers, bed assignments, or the
selection of patients for possible transfer/discharge in order to
facilitate patient flow in the facility.
- Acts as a resource to the clinical charge nurses on unit.
- Participates in coordination/delivery of approved Facility
- Collaborates with others to seek solutions to complex issues;
is sensitive to the operations and feelings of others.
- Ensures the potential positive outcomes when exploring the
- Remains objective to the view and conflicts of others. Focuses
on the issues/concerns and not the person.
- Builds common ground for points of agreement/disagreement.
- Utilizes Chain of command as needed.
- Acts as a liaison between any customers or staff assists in
patient satisfaction rounds, addressing complaints and issues
(including interdepartmental) in a timely fashion.
- Acts with integrity; demonstrating honesty, keeping commitments
and behaving consistently.
- Discloses own position, thoughts and rationales in order to
- Acts as a role model to maintain effective communication,
professional conduct, and appearance.
- Remains open to ideas; listens to others and objectively
considers other's ideas and opinions.
- Treats people with dignity, respect and fairness.
- Develops direction and ensures that the purpose and importance
of the team are clarified; by clarifying roles and
- Facilitates goal accomplishment; makes procedural or process
suggestions; provides necessary resources and removes
- Sets performance goals and collaboratively works with direct
reports to set meaningful objectives; implements system to track
performance against goals; holds regular formal discussions to
discuss progress toward goals and review performance.
- Clarifies current situation and expected behaviors and level of
proficiency; provides feedback and reinforcement; gives timely,
appropriate feedback on performance; reinforces efforts and
- Acts as a role model in creating collaborative professional
working relationships with peers, physicians, and all
- Creates a positive environment, promoting teamwork and high
morale by always giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Remains calm and able to function effectively during stressful
- Assists staff as well during a stressful event or situation, as
- Provides instruction, positive models and opportunities to
develop skills and understanding.
- Utilizes an approach of coaching, mentoring, guidance first
prior to utilizing performance management when addressing
performance issues. Identifies monitoring and improvement needs;
determines what systems, processes or areas need to be monitored or
- Ensures the proper and timely completion of all PI / Safety
- Analyzes data for root cause analysis utilizing standard PI
- Assists with the education and implementation of new
- Acts as role model to all customer service standards of
excellence as defined above.
- Assists in the education and implementation of Customer Service
action plans in order to maintain Customer Service scores at the
required or higher level of excellence.
- Ensures timely completion of work and call schedules (4-6
weeks) to support the efficient operations of the department.
- Ensures weekly and daily review of department staffing to
ensure adequate number of staff in each job category is available
to work 24/7.
- Supports clinical operations and patient flow to optimize LOS
(inpatient, procedural, and outpatient).
- Ensures timely completion of initial and annual performance
appraisals as assigned.
- Completes daily and weekly department payroll and confirms with
all staff is assigned to correct pay code/status.
- Accepts accountability for department productive labor with
focus on maintaining budgetary guidelines.
- Facilitates consistent compliance with all regulatory standards
to include AHCA, CMS, DCF and JCAHO.
- Other duties as assigned.Education:
- Graduated from an accredited school of professional
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing required.
- Master's Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Strong demonstrated clinical knowledge and skills; good oral,
written and interpersonal skills, strong analytical and
- Current state licensure as Registered Nurse (RN).
- Proof of Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart
Association (AHA) must be presented upon hire
- Proof of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) through American
Heart Association (AHA) Certification must be presented upon
hireComplexity of Work:
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance
outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as
applied to the position:
- World Class Service Orientation: Demonstrates courteous,
polite, friendly and cooperative behaviors toward others.
- Supports and participates in activities that promote customer
satisfaction. Utilizes approved hospital scripts. Courteously
answers the telephone utilizing approved script (department, name
and "How can I help you").
- Assists in answering call lights when on the nursing units
(includes ancillary and non-patient care personnel).
- Answers call lights within 4 rings.
- Acknowledges patients/guests/others immediately upon entering
the department/work area.
- Communicates and follows the organizational chain of command
for notification of patient care/service issues, when appropriate.
(Calls are answered within 4 rings.)
- Attitude: Chooses to have a positive attitude every day.
- Customer waiting: Updates waiting patient/family per protocol.
(Scheduled visit every 10 minutes, unscheduled every 30 minutes.
Adaptability: Exhibits good communication and listening skills.
Speaks clearly, actively listens.
- Able to work with diverse populations (patient, staff,
physicians) under difficult and stressful situations.
- Supports the team approach. Committed to Customer Service
- Encourages patients and family members to ask questions.
- Avoids jargon.
- Teamwork: Understands and supports the needs of individuals in
other departments, works as a team to achieve mutual goals.
- Offers assistance and promptly responds to requests (patient,
physician, manager and others).
- Performs any other duties or responsibilities that may be
- Carries Spectralink phone at all times. Updates patient boards
- (Appropriate personnel). Attends 80% of all staff
- Participates in coordination/delivery of approved Facility
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Offers suggestions for
departmental and/or hospital-wide performance/process
- Intervenes to correct problems (patient and system) as they
- Notifies manager/director of actions and outcome.
- Participates in the performance/process improvement
- Completes required logs and quality controls as per
hospital/department requirements (crash cart, 24 hour chart check,
narcotic count, point of care testing, etc.).
- Work Habits: Readily accepts work assignments in a positive
- Performs work that is accurate, neat and consistent.
- Documentation is legible.
- Safety: Keeps work area neat and maintains equipment in
accordance with health and safety codes.
- Uses Standard precautions in all patient contacts.
- Provides a safe environment for patients/family and visitors,
and reports safety issues and equipment failures
- Confidentiality: Sensitive information including, but not
limited to, patient records, charts, hospital documents and
employee information is kept confidential without exception,
according to HIPAA guidelines.
- Ensures that the rights of all patients are respected and
maintained by allowing for privacy, cultural diversity and dignity
in the provision of care.
- Demonstrates organizational skills in the form of
prioritization and time management.
- Essential Job Requirements: Policies/Procedures: Is aware of
and follows all hospital, corporate, regional, and departmental
policies and procedures.
- Appearance: Projects a professional image, follows the hospital
dress code policy and/or department requirements.
- Wears hospital ID badge at all times on duty.
- Attendance: Employee reports to work each regularly scheduled
- Does not take advantage of sick time.
- Punctuality: Clocks in by the scheduled start time of the shift
and is ready for work.
- Continues working until scheduled departure time.
- Leaves as scheduled unless overtime is approved by
- Managerial Responsibilities: Makes suggestions to reduce
- Ensures that personnel and supplies of the organization are
used in a cost effective manner.
- Identifies cost saving strategies for department/hospital.
- Submits accurate and timely hospital charges for
- Offers opinions and information that reflect positively on
Cleveland Clinic Florida.
- Will take the time to speak with an employee (privately) if
they observe or overhear that an employee is not being an
ambassador of the hospital.
- Understands how individual job performance affects department
and hospital growth.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to improve service or
- Participates in hospital/departmental committees to improve
service and streamline organizational processes.
- Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those
functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this
- This description of duties is not intended to be all-inclusive
or to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign
other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.Work
- Minimum two year recent clinical nurse experience
- Working knowledge of Quality Improvement process and JCAHO
- Managerial experience.
- Able to relate to a large variety of individuals.
- National certification program that includes management
- Clinical, and operational experience in the respective field or
- The position requires a considerate amount of physical work not
to exceed 50 pounds.
- Any workload exceeding 50 pounds will require assistance.
- The individual will be required to pull up or re-position
patients in bed, lift supplies, place equipment or supports, push
beds throughout the hospital and perform external cardiac
- The individual must be able to bend over to perform certain
duties such as check chest tube drainage, check urine output,
- The individual must be able to quickly maneuver throughout
halls, stairways and patient rooms in response to hospital
- Interpretation of environmental input requires visual and
auditory skills. In the event there is a need to evacuate the
building, heavy lifting will be required to carry patients to
- Mental Demands: Ability to work at a fast pace and to
prioritize multiple assignments/projects and respond to numerous
requests; ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to work
collaboratively with department directors, physicians and other
members of the Healthcare team; ability to ensure operational
efficiency; ability to problem-solve and make decisions; ability to
exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with
multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple
- Special Demands: Needs minimal sustained direction in assessing
needs, directing staff, and carrying out departmental and
professional responsibilities; self-starting and self-motivating;
working hours may exceed eight (8) hours per day and is based on
what is needed to accomplish work at hand.Personal Protective
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective
equipment as required for procedures.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system
hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal
opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment
in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of
employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and
nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for
employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for
employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's
Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions
after 90 days.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made
upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to
color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual
orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or
Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law.
Information provided on this application may be shared with any
Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment
employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with
Schedule: Full Time
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland , RN Assistant Nurse Manager - Observation Unit, Healthcare , North Royalton, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!