Director of Nursing
Company: Emergency Nurses Association
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Director of Nursing for Emergency Services Ensures the provision
of high quality, culturally sensitive, nursing/patient care in
accordance with evidence-based practice, current research, the
American Nurses Association (ANA) Scope and Standards of Nursing
Practice and the ANA Code of Ethics for the assigned clinical
areas. Utilizes clinical and business skills in ensuring optimal
operating efficiency of assigned clinical areas, including
provision of patient care, human resource management and fiscal
effectiveness. Ensures development, ongoing enhancement and
implementation of Nursing education programs, performance
improvement initiatives, research, and professional development
within assigned clinical areas Forms partnerships within nursing
and other disciplines to encourage excellence in service and
patient care. Upholds the mission, vision, values, and customer
service standards of The MetroHealth System. Responsibilities:
Oversees, supports and makes contributions to patient safety
- Providing a safe environment for patients.
- Identifying and correcting root causes of errors.
- Implementing systems to prevent errors.
- Subscribing to the principles of responsible reporting of
adverse occurrences, near misses, and safety concerns.
- Providing evidence-based care. --Ensures the provision of high
quality, culturally sensitive, nursing/patient care in areas of
- Developing, implementing and supporting the philosophy, goals
and objectives of the nursing department.
- Establishing standards of care, policies and procedures, and
developing clinical programs of care through the establishment of
evidence-based practice and in conjunction with the medical and
- Holding nursing management team accountable for ensuring staff
competency in caring for a culturally diverse patient
- Holding the clinical areas and Nurse Managers/Site Leaders
accountable for delivery of quality patient care by monitoring and
analyzing reports and/or other informational data.
- Ensuring compliance is maintained with all applicable
regulatory agencies, national standards and the ANA Code of Ethics
and Scope and Standards of NursingPractice.
- Verifying clinical indicators are at or better than established
benchmarks (i.e. core measures, NDNQI indicators, and infection
- Where appropriate, ensuring proper patient flow and recommends
improvements to clinical areas.
- Collaborating with the Service Line Physician Director, Service
Line Administrator Director, and Department Chairs to meet defined
operational objectives. Assumes responsibility for the fiscal
management of the department/sites:
- Directs, prepares, manages and monitors the annual operating,
personnel, and capital budgets
- Responsible for monthly variance reports, productivity reports,
and performance indicators.
- Identifies and operationalizes creative ways to decrease
departmental expenses including workflow redesign.
- Manages FTEs and expenses according to flex budget and
- Ensures effective human resource and informational management
of assigned clinical area by:
- Designing, establishing and maintaining an organizational
structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the clinical
area's goals and objectives; ensuring healthy work environments,
incorporating cultural competency and diversity. Building a related
nurse retention and recruitment strategy.
- Overseeing and/or approving recommendations related to the
recruitment, promotion, transfer, training, and termination of
- Establishing, defining and monitoring performance
- Developing and utilizing internal departmental management and
clinical information systems. Integrating these systems into the
institution wide information systems as appropriate. Ensures
development, ongoing enhancement and implementation of Nursing
education programs, performance improvement initiatives, research,
and professional development within assigned clinical areas by:
- Establishing policies, procedures, environment, and support for
clinical nursing research.
- Establishing internal and external contacts to promote
data-driven performance improvement and nursing research
- Developing guidelines for and promoting participation of staff
with nursing programs, faculty and students.
- Establishing policies and supporting educational opportunities
for all staff to secure formal credentials to maximize the benefits
to the system from their experience and to foster career
- Interpreting future trends in nursing and health care
management and providing training and experience to management
staff to respond to the changing environment.
- Collaborating with communities and community organizations to
respond to their needs for services, education and
- Monitoring patient satisfaction indicators, ensuring levels are
at or better than established benchmarks; implementing department
and individual high-quality customer service targets.
- Demonstrating attitude and competence for continuous quality
improvement for both patient outcomes and departmental processes
demonstrated by improved outcomes.
- Ensuring the development of annual, measurable departmental
goals in support of the nursing department and hospital's annual
goals and strategic priorities.
- Incorporating performance improvement goals into unit-based
- Supporting shared governance and employee empowerment through
the development of effective inter-professional, departmental and
unit-based teams as evidenced by initiatives with measurable
outcomes. As a member of the Nursing leadership team, participates
in and collaborates on the development of Nursing strategies, long
and short-term goals, and projects in other clinical areas as
requested. In collaboration with Service Line leadership and
Department chairs, participates in the hospital's strategic
planning activities by:
- Introducing principles of organizational assessment, management
system development and management functions so that the department
is positioned as a positive force in the strategic planning
- Interpreting and applying the changes and trends in health care
in terms of their impact on the role of nursing within the
institution's strategic planning process. Incorporates principles
of teamwork with all organizational levels in the resolution,
completion and follow-up of various responsibilities. Enhances
professional growth and development by keeping current with related
legislative developments, trends and practices through
participation in continuing education courses, professional
organizations, seminars and workshops; reading current literature
and maintaining professional contacts within the community.
Monitors and assesses appropriateness of emerging communication
trends and strategies, adopting techniques as deemed appropriate.
Displays sensitivity to and understanding of various cultural,
ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Performs other
job-related duties as assigned. Assumes other functionally related
duties as assigned. Qualifications: Required:
- Graduate of an approved program of nursing and currently
licensed to practice professional nursing in the State of
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and Master's Degree in a
- Minimum of seven years progressively responsible nursing and
managerial/administrative experience including skill in budget and
- Proven leadership, clinical competence and interpersonal
- Demonstrated evidence of continuing professional
- Magnet recognized certification in clinical specialty or in
nursing administration (e.g. CNML or NE/NEA-BC).
- Reliable transportation to travel to ambulatory sites.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of cultural,
ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Send me my free
professional resume critique from TopResume
Keywords: Emergency Nurses Association, Cleveland , Director of Nursing, Executive , Cleveland, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!