Director of Archives, Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
Company: Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Director of Archives, Catholic Diocese of Cleveland POSITION
THE CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF CLEVELAND
DIRECTOR OF ARCHIVES
FULL-TIME, EXEMPT STATUS POSITION The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
was founded on April 23, 1847. Under the leadership of the Most
Reverend Edward C. Malesic, bishop of Cleveland, it is the
twenty-third largest diocese in the United States. The diocese
encompasses the Ohio counties of Cuyahoga, Summit, Lorain, Lake,
Geauga, Medina, Wayne and Ashland. There are more than 677,000
Catholics in the Diocese, and Catholic Charities- Diocese of
Cleveland is one of the largest diocesan systems of social services
in the world. There are 185 parishes, 110 Catholic schools, 1
pastoral center and 1 mission office within the diocese. The
cathedral is the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, located in
Please go to our website, www.dioceseofcleveland.org, for more
information about the mission, persons, and ministries of our
The Director of Archives administers the Archives and Record Center
of the Diocese of Cleveland and directs all research efforts
involving the Archives. He or she maintains, preserves, and
arranges those diocesan records which have historical, fiscal,
administrative or evidential value. The Director of Archives
provide reference service for both in-house and outside researchers
and oversees the diocesan records management program.
1. Preserves, appraises and arranges records of value. Make the
records of information from those records available upon request.
2. Develops, maintains and keeps up-to-date the Archival filing
3. Develops, maintains and keeps up-to-date finding aids for
4. Facilitates the work of researchers, both diocesan and
non-diocesan, by retrieving various records.
5. Maintains records of closed Diocesan parishes and
6. Responds to inquiries and makes appropriate referrals.
7. Maintains, catalogues, and documents the Diocesan collection of
sacred vessels, art and other objects of historical importance.
8. Oversees, maintains and keeps up-to-date filing of the blueprint
9. Determines disposition of current records of Diocesan offices
according to a retention schedule, which is maintained and updated
by the Archives and Record Center.
10. Works with the IT Department to create and implement strategies
for the capture and retention of digital records.
11. Advises all Diocesan entities on records management issues.
12. Supervises the work of all full-time, part-time and volunteer
staff. Provides the necessary training for all staff.
13. Maintains all work areas in a neat, clean, orderly and readily
14. Promotes and makes accessible the wealth of the archival
collection of the Diocese to the public to assist the evangelizing
mission of the Church, through the internet, displays, and other
15. Manages litigation holds and works collaboratively with the
Diocesan Legal Office as needed.
16. Assists the Chancellor with special projects as needed.
1. Must be a practicing Catholic in full communion with the
Catholic Church and knowledgeable and supportive of Church
2. Degree in archival studies, library science, records management,
or similar from an accredited college or university. Master's
degree (MLIS, MSI, MARA, etc.) with specialization in Archives and
Records Management preferred.
3. Three to five years' experience working in an archives.
4. Knowledge of current records management practices including
digital records management.
5. Knowledge of Catholic history, Catholic Theology, and local
6. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in accord with civil
and canon law.
7. Two years of supervisory or team leadership experience
8. Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel
regionally throughout northeast Ohio.
Please submit cover letter, resume, contact information for three
(3) professional references and a completed Diocese of Cleveland
Employment Application using the below form. Position will remain
open until filled. Formal review process of all complete submitted
materials to identify candidates for interview will begin on
January 4, 2021. Subscribe!
Sign up to receive news & updates Our promise to protect, our
pledge to heal. To report an abuse, please contact local law
enforcement and: Subscribe! Sign up to receive news & updates.
Keywords: Catholic Diocese of Cleveland, Cleveland , Director of Archives, Catholic Diocese of Cleveland, Executive , Cleveland, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!