Assistant Controller: Westfield Bank
Company: Westfield Insurance Group
Posted on: January 17, 2020
BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique
experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is
celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield, you will quickly
learn that protecting our customer s future is at the heart of what
we do. We deliver on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild
businesses when the unexpected happens. Building relationships has
been a part of our culture since 1848.
Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take
initiative, seek opportunity and strive for innovation in a
Assistant Controller Westfield Bank Job Summary
Ensures accuracy in the financial reporting process for internal,
external and regulatory users through in-depth knowledge of and
compliance with generally accepted accounting principles,
regulatory requirements and internal control principles and
procedures. Responsible for ownership of all general ledger
activities including daily, weekly and monthly reconciliations of
the Bank s general ledger and internal bank accounts. Oversees the
accounts payable function and ensures timely and accurate recording
of subsidiary transactions, allowance for loan losses, fixed
assets, bank-owned real estate, borrowings, loan charge-offs and
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job
exists in order of importance)
1. Manages Board and management reports, analyzes and interprets
financial results, and submits reports to Controller and CFO on a
2. Manages the month-end close process by ensuring proper posting
of monthly journal entries, closing subsidiary general ledgers, and
creating subsidiary financial statements.
3. Manages the general ledger reconciliation process to ensure all
general ledger and internal bank accounts are prepared and reviewed
accurately and timely with outstanding reconciling items properly
investigated and resolved.
4. Manages the regulatory filings process to ensure all required
regulatory reports are filed timely and accurately with the
appropriate regulatory agency (e.g. Call Report, Collateral
5. Manages the completion of the annual GAAP financial statements,
including footnote disclosures, through coordination with staff
members and other departments. In addition, coordinates the
completion of audit requests, including interim test-work,
confirmations, and substantive testing requests.
6. Maintains current knowledge of GAAP and bank regulatory
accounting practices and standards including bank specific
accounting practices and standards to ensure compliance with the
most recent standards. Researches emerging topics and recommends
accounting treatment. Drafts memoranda(s) in support of accounting
positions. Incorporates new and revised standards into accounting
policies and practices
7. Manages the accounts payable process by reviewing all invoices
for accurate approvals and expense posting to the general
8. Ensures the accurate processing and reporting of subsidiary
transactions, allowance for loan losses, fixed assets, bank-owned
real estate, borrowings and prepaid assets.
9. Processes loan charge-off transactions in the core system and
works with credit department for accurate processing of delinquent
and nonaccrual transactions.
10. Coordinates with Loan, Deposit, Retail and Credit Operations
teams to ensure proper accounting entries are recorded, and day to
day research items and reconciling items are properly cleared.
11. Provides general accounting research and ad hoc reports to
support Bank activities and initiatives.
12. Maintains and evaluates internal financial controls and
accounting policies to mitigate the risk of financial loss and
enhance the accuracy of the Bank s financial reporting utilizing an
understanding of internal controls over financial reporting in
accordance with the 2013 COSO Framework or equivalent (e.g. SOX
13. Performs talent management responsibilities including employee
selection, performance management, coaching, and development.
Manages priorities and workload distribution, and removes barriers
that impede progress. Completes all personnel, salary
administration, and reporting duties. Performs operational
responsibilities that drive team performance including planning,
execution, process improvement and best-practice sharing.
14. Provides assistance in response to regulatory and
internal/external audit requests.
15. Maintains awareness, understanding, and compliance with the
Bank's internal policies and procedures, laws, and regulations
appropriate for this position.
16. Travels occasionally in order to participate in special
assignments, training, and/or travel between office locations.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order
1. Minimum 5 years related work experience, including 2 or more
years experience in a senior accounting, accounting manager, public
accounting or other banking industry related role.
2. Experience leading others and the ability to build strong
3. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills resulting in
the ability to interact with all levels of bank personnel.
4. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office, including
Excel and Word, or other transferable software packages.
5. Detail orientation, multi-tasking, analytical, and
6. Bachelor s degree in Accounting/Finance or commensurate
7. CPA certification and/or banking industry experience a plus.
8. Valid driver s license and a driving record that conforms to
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+
hours per week (including sitting, standing, and working on a
computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work
environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone,
computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
* Ability to operate an automobile within the parameters of the
This job description describes the general nature and level of work
performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list
of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may
be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as
needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on
compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like
401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement,
flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life
balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all
part of a rewarding career with Westfield.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available,
please visit us at westfieldinsurance.com.
We are an equal opportunity
Keywords: Westfield Insurance Group, Cleveland , Assistant Controller: Westfield Bank, Accounting, Auditing , Seville, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!